Sunday, February 19, 2012

Tasting--Poggio Vipere Chianti 2008

The Wine:

Name: Poggio Vipere

Variety: Chianti

Region: Tuscany

Country: Italy

Year: 2008

Price: $12 ( The Vintage Cellar, Blacksburg)





Shop Tag Review:

"Ruby red color, it has a good body and persistent aroma with hints of cherry spice. In the mouth, it reveals itself as soft, fresh and pleasantly balanced."



My Review:

The bouquet of this wine had a slight hint of berries and wood with a very strong forefront of smokiness. The color of the wine, as indicated in the reflection in the picture to the right, was a deep pink, light garnet. Upon first taste, I was mostly just taken aback by the light body of the wine, not really receiving anything at all. But upon second tasting, I detected strawberry and cherry, and in the mid-palate I got sage and bay leaf. The aftertaste, and the longest lasting of the three stages, was a smokey oak. There was no burn from the alcohol, and overall, I thought the wine was good. Not my favorite of all that I have tasted, but I feel this wine would go well as a cheap take-along to any dinner. For the price, I'm sure it would please most crowds.



Check out my tasting partner, Matt's, blog.
-ACB


No comments:

Post a Comment